Monday, December 14, 2009

What is in a name?

Oh the joys of naming your small business. At that time I decided to focus my business on one niche in the decorative finish world (fine plaster finishes {aka Venetian/Italian plaster)the word "green" was just a color and you could only get lime plaster from a distributor who imported if from Italy.

When it came to naming the business, I figured I could go two routes. One, I could use something with my name in it, i.e. Ayn Riggs Studio or Ayn Riggs Wall Finishes. I chose not to go that route for 2 reasons. One is that it might imply that I am a fine artist (which I am not). Secondly, I was afraid I might only appeal to Libertarians (being named after Ayn Rand has its issues). Thus, I chose to go the more industrial route and within minutes the URL www.italianplasterworks.com was registered.

I needed something to differentiate us from the heavy duty lath and plaster cousin, so I thought Italian would do the trick. I have been battling with the word Italian from the beginning.

"I would love a fine finish but our house is French Country."
"My house is contemporary."
"I am Italian but my husband is German."
"My house is Cape Cod."

I've even caught myself getting defensive in the Italian Plasterworks showroom.,"Does wearing a pair of Italian loafers make you a Donatella Versace wanna be? No, it just means you like things of high quality."

I wondered if some of my com padres dealt with similar angst. So, I asked Robin of Verona Walls what he has encountered. His business was first named Classical Plastering. He received too many calls inquiring for drywall work that he changed it to Verona Walls. Its worked out for him much better, although somebody did ask him if he was familiar with Tuscan Style.


John Redmon, a decorative painter in Tucson, has been focusing on fine plasters and is in the process of changing his business name from Southwest Painting and Design to Classical Italian Plastering. I wonder if he is ready for, "My house is Italian but its ultra urban."?

Deb Cambell of Wallartistry in Ohio and Partic Webb of Real Finishes in Florida have really hit the nail on the head with their company names. Perhaps I should go URL shopping again.

No comments:

Post a Comment